Monday, July 9, 2012

Whole30 Day One.


Today is a special day, my friends.

It is the first day of my Whole30, and I am oh so glad it is.  

Technically, I started July 1st, but since I had a couple slip-ups I'm calling it my practice run.  Apparently my Q&A a Day journal agrees with my new start date, because this was today's prompt: 



 
I learned a lot from my practice run last week, and am more ready now than ever to start and complete these 30 days of strict paleo.  I'm approaching this Whole30 with more education and a lot more awareness than I ever have in the past.  This time, I will follow these guidelines:

I will eat before I leave the house if possible.
This is a huge one, and it's why I slipped up last week.  I wasn't prepared, the kids were hungry, and I didn't want to eat my salad I bought for myself without dressing so I used the ranch they gave me.  

I will not leave the house without something to eat (for both me and the kids if they're with me). 
Usually when we go out, we go to town, which means at least a two hour trip.  That's a long time to be without anything to eat for a kid, and if I stop for them I'll be tempted to stop for me as well.  I have to be more prepared. 

I will make meals in bulk so I always have something I can quickly reheat if I'm in a rush.
Last week, I pre-made a few different breakfasts and absolutely loved having something to just reheat in the morning.  I plan on doing this for lunch as well.  

I will not track what I eat in any way whatsoever (except maybe through photos on instagram).  
Even if I don't pay attention to the calorie count, I'm continuing an unhealthy relationship with food by logging every single thing I eat.  I need to learn to both eat when I'm hungry and not feel guilty about it, and to not eat when I am not hungry just because I still have calories left to eat (with the exception of breakfast; I will force feed myself breakfast if I have to in order to get my hormones in check).  

I will ask Brandon to hide the scale.  
I didn't do this last week, because I thought I could get away with weighing myself during the Whole30.  It's another reason I failed.  If I step on the scale and see I've lost weight, my mind says, "Sophie, you deserve a treat."  I can't do that.  

I will hide Tutti Frutti (my favorite frozen yogurt place) from my newsfeed on facebook.
They post their flavors every day and it just makes it harder for me to resist if I know they have Pina Colada or Spiced Chai or Red Velvet yogurt today.  

I will buy groceries every few days to prevent over-buying and waste.  
I waste a lot of produce and meat shopping once every two weeks.  And since I haven't quite figured out the magic formula for shopping once a week, I'll just go every few days.  It's not a big deal and they kids will be great since I'll only be running in for produce and meat.  

I will make sure we always have water in our 5-gallon water dispenser.  
We all need to drink more water, and I hate our tap water.  It's time to get that jug refilled and keep it that way, so we can all stay hydrated.  



I also took before pictures and measurements this time (I took photos last time, but accidentally deleted them from my phone).   I can't wait to see the difference these 30 days make on my body!  





This was back in mid-June...I was between 193-5 then.  



This was a couple days ago...I'm pretty comfortable with the majority of my body except for my stomach.  I've lost 23 lbs over the last 6-7 months, and it seems like it's been from everywhere but my abdomen! So frustrating.

After reading It Starts With Food by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig, I've learned this abdominal fat is probably due to out of whack hormones, namely Cortisol (the hormone that tells you when to be hungry and when to be tired, which is hugely elevated by stress).  I'll be focusing on regulating my cortisol levels by making sure I eat breakfast within an hour of waking, eating my last meal at least 3 hours before bedtime, and trying my hardest to do what I can to reduce my stress.  




Just a little note before you look at the next photo. 

It's taking A LOT of courage for me to post this photo here.  A lot.  As I mentioned above, I am fairly confident with my body, except for my stomach.  I typically wear tighter tank tops or even shapewear under my clothing because I am so self conscious about my stomach fat.  I've had a lot of stomach fat for as long as I can remember; I can't even tell you how many times I've stood in front of a mirror and smooshed my stomach into my body, wishing with all my heart I could just chop off that extra 2-3 inch layer and be as thin as I looked in the mirror with it all squished into place.  I can remember doing this all the way back in middle school!  

Obviously having kids and living in such a stressful environment over the last year and a half have made the situation even worse, to the point where, even after losing almost 25 pounds, I will not let myself be topless in front of my husband or even my kids without sucking my stomach in.  My husband has been nothing but supportive of the weight roller-coaster I've been on in the 7 years we've known eachother (when I met him I was in a size 8!) and can't keep his hands off me as much now as he couldn't back then, which helps with my self-esteem immensely.  (He is a little bummed about me losing weight in my boobs recently though hahaha!) I'm still ashamed though, and I really look forward to the day I can just be with him and not think about how my stomach looks. 

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this is a huge step for me, and not to take it lightly.  


Here's my beginning stats and photos:



I have a lot of work to do, but I'm ready and really excited to get started.

My question for you all is this: 

What would you like to see here from me during this Whole30 (or even after)?  What I ate for a day? Snack ideas? Recipes?  Book reviews? Research?  Tips for staying on track at work?  Let me know!  

Please stick around with me during this life-changing journey...I plan on posting weekly photos of my progress and will for sure post my after stats 30 days from now!  

I also convinced my parents to try a Whole30; they will be starting July 15th.  They are both diabetic, and I'm so very excited for them to take this huge step towards living a healthier life!  I'll hopefully be posting on their progress as well.  

Thanks everyone!  Here's to a successful Whole30!  

15 comments:

  1. Ahhh good for you Sophie! You're gonna be so happy you took pictures and honestly, every step like this is getting you closer to being completely comfortable in your skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Jen. That was one of the reasons I decided to share...if I put it out there then I'll be more motivated to stay on track and get my butt back into shape.

      Delete
  2. Good luck, Sophie! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your bravery so much! If there's anyone who can do it - you can! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sophie, how I admire your post AND for posting pictures! I know we haven't really talked for years, but I have been following your blog and FB and things to feel like I'm sorta still connected (does this make me a stalker, I hope not :) ). Weight is such a tough issue, especially for women. Recently, I've gained weight too. As in 30 pounds in less than 7 months. Granted, during this time, I was engaged, moved, went on 3 long trips (yes, I do think going on vacation adds to weight gain, I ate like a monster), planned a wedding basically by myself, and got off/started two new birth controls. Weightgain is the worst. I'm only telling you all of this to let you know that you're SO not alone. I admire you for being brave enough to post photos that you hate, I'm not sure I could ever do that! I also admire you for making big changes with your diet as well. I can't imagine how hard that is to do with kids. You're awesome for taking control of things and for making this change. Over the last 3 weeks, I've made a similar change with diet and exercise. It's not easy, but it's SO worth it. Anyway, just wanted you to know I think you're great, brave, and amirable! Keep it up and I'm excited to hear about your progress! I know you're not tracking what you eat, but I'd be curious about what is/isn't allowed on paleo. I've tried researching and there's a lot of conflicting info. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Laura Fox (now Linkous) BTW, thought you might wonder who I am :)

      Delete
    2. Hey lady! Man it's been a while! Honestly the biggest reason I decided to share those photos is because I know how much others' courage has inspired me. I hope I can touch someone's life and give them that push they need to get started!

      Paleo is basically the belief that modern agriculture is the reason for a lot of our medical problems and obesity. You eat the foods our bodies were meant to eat: fish, meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds. No grains, dairy, sugars, legumes, or processed garbage. It's really flexible and more of a way of life than a diet like Atkins or whatnot, which is why there's so many different ways people follow it. Some people say honey is okay, some don't. Some say dark chocolate is fine, some don't. It's all personal and really how your body can tolerate those things.

      If you're interested in paleo, I 100% recommend the book It Starts With Food by the Hartwigs. It covers a lot of the science of WHY the things paleo doesn't allow aren't allowed, as well as strategies for maintaining this lifestyle. It also gives you the guidelines for doing a Whole30 (which is 30 days strict paleo) which is a great way to see how your body tolerates dairy, gluten, sugar, etc. I already know I can't handle dairy; just that little bit of ranch dressing had me almost doubled over with pain the rest of the night.

      Good luck, Laura! It's good to touch base with you again:) Let me know if you have any questions. I've been eating paleo about 80% of the time since January, and really love it!

      Delete
  5. I think you look great - hell you've had TWO kids!!!! :) and REALLY love the flip flop tan line :). Good luck and I like the food photos... You always have such good ideas for dinner, etc - That's one thing I have a hard time with... Good luck again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much dude! I plan on doing What I Ate Wednesdays...so that'll be fun:)

      Delete
  6. Hi Sophie,

    I really appreciate your courage to share this journey. I imagine that there are going to be so many people impacted by you and your blog. You have inspired me. I know how it is to have a blog and to feel naked by putting it all out there. Great job sharing these photos and your candid thoughts. I love seeing when somebody opens up to supporting others and being supported themselves.

    You asked the question about what your readers would like to see. I would like to see more of you! The way you wrote this and your amazing courage is what drew me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm so glad! That's my goal with putting this all out there; I want to inspire others the same way people have inspired me. Thanks for reading, Amanda!

      Delete
  7. Hey Paleo bud! You're awesome, I'm with you all the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah you!!! You are so courageous! Good luck - I'm cheering ya on!

    ReplyDelete