Tuesday, July 24, 2012

North Dakota State Fair!

I was going to start this post with an apology for not writing for so long, but I'm pretty sure the few readers I do have know to not rely on me for regular postings.  Life gets busy and blogging is always the first thing to go.  

But! I'm here now, and I have a whole post full of pictures of my super cute kids! Cause I know that's the reason you all read any blogs anyway...just to see pictures of kids in different environments doing random activities.  Just kidding.  Really, I just want to remember this day, and blogging about it seems like the best way to record it, since we all know I'm a horrible scrapbooker (horrible in the sense that I never do it, not in the sense that I suck at it.  I don't suck at it.).

I took the kids to the State Fair today!  Brandon was at work, so I went against my better judgement and decided to brave the crowds (it was both half-price admission with a 20oz coke product AND Military Appreciation Day...so I knew it was going to be packed) and I'm SO GLAD I did.  We had a blast!  I'm exhausted, of course, but the kids had such a great time it was totally worth it.  


Our favorite parts, surprisingly, were the free parts!  We loved the little petting zoo with all the super cute goats, sheep, pigs, and cows, and the kids really got into the little trapper village thingy they had set up where they were demonstrating how to carve arrowheads, make bullets, and lots of other fun stuff.  




I'm so glad I caught this on camera.  Beck was petting this little baby goat (and saying, "Oh sweet!" over and over) and the bigger goat just decided to give him a big ole kiss right on the head!  It was so funny.  Beck turned around and gave the goat the funniest look, and then continued to pet the baby goat.  



There was a cow (of course I can't remember her name now) in an open pen that the kids could pet and/or brush...she was just the sweetest thing ever.  They were both pretty hesitant at first, but Beck ended up loving brushing that dang cow and stayed there for at least five minutes.  When he was finally done, he leaned over and gave her a kiss right on her side!  So cute (and a little gross...)!  


He loved these dang little piglets.  He had a whole conversation with them...it was awesome.  




Piper BEGGED me to pay $5 for her to ride this freaking pony in a circle and then proceeded to whine the ENTIRE TIME about how scared she was.  So ridiculous.  Needless to say I made her watch each and every ride before I'd let her get on them after that (not that the ponies were a ride, but you know what I mean). 




After the petting zoo and the little trapper village (which I didn't get any pictures of...boo), we made our way over to the Bunny Barn (which I also didn't get pictures of) and then found some seats for the pig races!  It was pretty cool...during the second race, they gave the audience raffle tickets so we could "bet" on which color pig we thought would win; they would draw a ticket from the winning pig's tickets and that person would win a whole pig!  Piper chose pink, of course, and the little guy was in the lead right up until the very end, when yellow edged out in front.  I'm bummed we didn't win...it would have been awesome to have a freezer full of farm-fresh bacon and pork sausage!  



We decided to make our way towards the rides and food area, and stopped on the way for the kids to get their cheek/hand painted by some really sweet kids (am I old now that I refer to teens as 'kids'?).  It was *kinda* awkward because they used the opportunity to talk about God and to pray with the kids to let Jesus in their life, but Piper said she liked it and Beck actually sat there and listened the whole time.  Who knows, maybe we'll find some sort of non-denominational service to start going to.  




We hit up a few rides and played way too many games (those dang balloon dart guys kept dragging us over. $20 for two freaking stuffed animals. Ugh.), then got some food and lemonade.  By that point, it was getting pretty hot out, and Beck was just about done for the day, so we started making our way back towards the entrance to the fair.  


We checked out the little hunting and fishing area on the way back, and the kids got a kick out of Herbie the moose (kinda morbid to name a moose head....) and the fish they had in tanks!  



 Piper even got to shoot a bow and arrow!  She absolutely loved it...I think I might try and find some sort of archery class or camp for her.  She was so thrilled when she hit the target!  


And that was our day at the fair!  It was A LOT of walking...and Piper was such a trooper.  She made it almost the entire day without complaining about being tired!  I had brought Beck's umbrella stroller, so for the last 1/4 of a mile back to the car she sat in it with Beck in her lap.  I wish I had taken a photo, because it was so funny.  I think they giggled the whole way back to the car!  

We really did have a great time...the only thing missing was Brandon!  I think if we go back later this week with him or when we go next year, we'll just hit up the animals and little trapper village thingy, grab some food, and then turn around and head back to the car.  Piper's too scared to go on most of the rides, and the games aren't even fun because they give you a prize for everything (so you're basically just buying overpriced stuffed animals).  Too many crowds and too much money spent, you know?  

I'll sign off now, before I say 'cute' or 'funny' or 'fun' again.  Thanks for reading!  

1 comment:

  1. aw too cute! i'm not stalking you on purpose, i swear it. my cousin admired my head wrap and so i googled your IG user name and found your blog. :) i gave her the link in case she wanted to order one. your fam is adorable!! lets be friends on facebook lol. #notstalkingatall

    ReplyDelete