Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Beck goes Paleo; the forget that edition.

Remember how last week I was all gung-ho about Beckett switching to a paleo diet for a week (at least)? And remember how the first day went so awesome I was super duper stoked about the rest of the week?  

Well, that was the only awesome day.  

He woke up ridiculously grumpy the next day (sugar detox I'm assuming), but I kept up the paleo foods until Brandon came home from work and told me he's going to be working for pretty much two-thirds of the month of May.  After dealing with this face all day:


and then finding out I'd be dealing with this face by myself for most of next month, I was done. Capital D O N E done.  

Thankfully, Brandon has learned the signs of an emotional breakdown, and swooped us all out of the house. We ended up going to Space Aliens (a pizza and bbq restaurant that has a small-ish arcade) for dinner, and even though Beck freaked out whenever we tried to have him sit at the table like a normal person, it was exactly what I needed.  



Good food (I had the bbq brisket wrap and fries with three different kinds of ranch),


and quality time with my three favorite people in the world.  


Saturday we were supposed to go to Piper's Girl Scout end-of-the-year BBQ, but it was freezing, so we moved it to Sunday.  We kind of lounged around all day, and then at the last minute I decided to take Piper to see Chimpanzee.  


We stuffed our faces with overly-buttered popcorn (seriously, the chick working the concession stand was butter-happy. so.much.butter.), cherry coke and taffy from the candy store in the mall.  The movie was great; Piper got a little scared at some parts, but it was really interesting and there were quite a few funny bits. I definitely learned a lot...did you know chimpanzees eat monkeys?  


I'm SO GLAD Piper's BBQ was moved to Sunday, because it was absolutely gorgeous.  The kids both wore shorts, and I got to wear a new tank-top (that is a size large, thank you very much.  No more xl for Sophie!).  It was such a nice day.  Oh, and I'm going to be Piper's co-leader next year, so that'll be fun!  



And then this was yesterday. I spent pretty much the whole day in bed, hating life.  Worst stomach ache ever.  Body aches and chills.  Pounding temples.  So miserable.  I woke up this morning feeling better, but my stomach still isn't completely happy with me so I'm sticking to bland foods and lots of water.  I don't know if I came down with something or if all the gluten/junk food I'd eaten the last few days caught up with me or what.  


I still plan on switching the whole family to a paleo diet, but I think I'm going to go for a more gradual approach.  As we run out of the non-paleo foods, I'll try to replace them with a paleo version (ie, when the goldfish crackers are gone, I'll make my own crackers with almond flour).  I think it'll be less of a shock to the kids if I just replace things one-by-one, and definitely will help me ease into the routine of making things like crackers and fruit leather.  I'll be sure to post when I substitute things, and let you know my favorite recipes!  


No comments:

Post a Comment