Thursday, April 19, 2012

Beck Goes Paleo, Day One.

A friend on Instagram suggested I post each night what I fed to Beckett, and I thought it was a great idea!  It can be so hard to feed toddlers in general, and when you throw dietary restrictions in there it becomes pretty overwhelming.  Today went pretty smoothly, however, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the week.  

I already shared what he ate for breakfast in my post this morning, but here it is again anyway:


One egg, some diced ham, and a little cheddar cheese.  He also had some blueberries and raspberries.  Like I said earlier, this was the first meal in a long time that he actually sat and ate until he was full.  He ended up eating about half of what was on his plate, and didn't want anything else to eat until noon (we ate at 9am).


I had to run to town for diapers and a few other little things for my re-opening of my etsy shop (envelopes, labels, etc), so I packed Beck a little snack/lunch.  I originally meant it to be a snack, but like I said, he wasn't hungry until noon so it just ended up being his lunch.  He had a handful of dried dates, some almonds, and a pouch of unsweetened, all natural strawberry applesauce.  Beck loves applesauce, so I was thrilled to find these.  He loves them just as much as I do! No mess, no sugar, no artificial colorings or flavors or preservatives...they're perfect for on the go snacks (or lunches in this case).  

By the time we got home from running errands, Beck was beyond ready for a nap, so I laid him down.  I kid you not, he fell right asleep.  No second glass of milk, no getting out of bed over and over, no playing with toys...he fell right asleep.  He slept for a good 2.5 hours, and munched on a pear while I got us ready to pick up Piper from girl scouts. 




It was a cold, rainy, gloomy day today, and I was craving chicken soup for dinner.  Unfortunately, the only soup my kids eat is ramen noodles.  Yikes. But, I was determined to make one dinner for us all, so I left out the onions and only used vegetables I knew Piper liked (broccoli, sugar snap peas, green beans, and carrots), thinking if anything she could just pick out the chicken (she doesn't eat much meat).  

She wouldn't even touch it.  I eventually convinced her to eat a few sugar snap peas, but she acted like they were coated with nail polish remover.  Sigh.  She ended up eating a pear and the rest of her crackers from snack at school today.  Picky picky Piper.  

Beck was a different story.  When I put his bowl in front of him, he said, "What is that? Ew!" So funny.  He repeated that a few times and then ran away from the table more than a few times, always coming back with a different item of food (goldfish crackers, applesauce pouch, cheese from the fridge), but I just kept taking it from him and putting it out of his reach.  Eventually I got him to taste some of the broth from my soup, and he loved it!  He ended up fishing out every single carrot from his bowl and chowing down on them.  He ate probably a third of what I served him, which I was utterly thrilled with.  He usually eats about that much of his favorite meals as well.  



Behavior wise, Beck was amazing today!  Zero meltdowns while we were out and about (and we went to three stores)!  So exciting.  He actually ate three meals instead of just snacks all day, which was awesome. I'm hoping he sleeps well tonight, as last night he was wide awake from about 2:30 AM till 4.  Not crying or anything, just wide awake ready to party.  

Tomorrow I'm going to try and make sure he gets more protein and less fruit. I noticed that's the first thing I went to grab for him, since he loves it so much. 



Today went really well overall, and has me really excited to get my family's eating habits on track!  I'm choosing to focus on Beck right now, since he and I are alone together the most (with Brandon being at work so often and Piper at school all day).  Plus he's young and still dependent on me to give him all his meals.  Piper has really enjoyed buying lunch lately, which I have absolutely no problem with because it means she's trying new foods.  Yesterday she ate grilled chicken! My daughter! Chicken!  I'll focus more on her eating when she is on summer vacation; for now I want her to taste as many new foods as possible so she is more willing to try them at home.  

I will try and do nightly posts this week as a little update and to also give you guys some meal ideas for your own little tornados.  At the very least, I'll be uploading photos of Beck's meals to Instagram (sophieplayshooky) under the hashtag #beckgoespaleo.  If you're not on Instagram, just click on that link and it'll take you to a website called Statigram where you can view all of my photos for this project. 

Fingers crossed for a peaceful night's sleep! :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment