Monday, January 23, 2012

Weigh in 1/23/2012



Wow.  

I definitely did not mean to take such a long hiatus from my weight loss journey, nor did I mean to gain back half the weight I've lost since October, but I did.  It sucks, but it's done and over with and I can't do anything to change it.  

So here I am now, January 23rd, one week into my new Paleo lifestyle, weighing in at 205.8.  I started this week at 207.3, so I'm pretty pleased with what I've lost this week.  I'm even more pleased with myself, and this new way of approaching food.  

I love paleo.  Like, I really do love it.  I love all the veggies and the meats and the eggs and the snacking on fruits and nuts.  It's awesome.  I feel great.  Things are moving along nicely, if you know what I mean.  I don't even miss bread or rice or cereal, and definitely not dairy.  

I do, however, miss sweets.  Ice cream.  Chocolate.  Twizzlers.  Cupcakes.  Cookies.  Fudge.  I've had cravings for treats I NEVER crave this week, and have been able to resist most of them.  I did have a moment of weakness with twizzlers at the movies Saturday night, but I honestly think it's because I cheated earlier that day with greasy cheesy breadsticks at a pizza place on base.  Brandon and I said we'd allow ourselves on cheat meal a week if we were good the rest of the week, but I think it did more damage than good.  We were doing so great, but it just sent me into a downward spiral.  

So this week, I'm not cheating.  I know I can do this...I did it for six days last week.  It's a mind over matter thing, and I will overcome the sugar cravings.  

The hardest part about this Paleo lifestyle is feeding my family.  My husband is on board, but to a certain extent.  He doesn't like vegetables, and can't give up cheese.  He ate meats, eggs, nuts and cheese last week and juiced his vegetables.  It may work for him and it may not, but it certainly makes things more difficult for me as far as both cooking AND grocery shopping goes.  I not only have to buy produce for me to eat but also for him to juice....and juicing takes a lot of produce.  Once we strike a balance I'm sure we'll be fine, but in the meantime, I feel like I'm making a trip to the store every other day.  

Then there's the kids.  The kids, who, bless their hearts, are way too picky to give up dairy and grains completely.  Now, that doesn't mean I'm making them separate meals every single night, but there are some nights were I want something that I know no one else will eat.  Take last night, for example.  I had a head of cauliflower to use, so I made roasted cauliflower soup.  

No one would touch it but me.  

I made tater tots and chicken nuggets for the kids (along with some carrots), and Brandon ended up eating what was left and some chicken leftover from the other night.  

I feel like if I focus on myself and what I need to eat to be healthier and lose weight, the rest of my family suffers.  

My husband brought up freezer cooking, and so I think I may cook up a freezer full of meals for the kids so that I can just pull their dinner out and stick it in the oven without feeling guilty about preservatives and lack of nutrition.  Brandon can just continue to eat the meat I cook and juice his produce...and I'll just have to start buying more of it!  

How do you guys deal with different diets and/or preferences in your family?

6 comments:

  1. This was our problem on our clean eating diet- the kids actually LOVED the healthy food but they needed more fat than I was eating- they are all 3 around 30% for weight. So I often had to make two dinners :( In the end (after I'd lost my weight) I decided to just make regular dinners but maybe a little more balanced than before- not as lean but not as fatty either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome that they loved the clean-eating meals! I curse my husband and his picky tounge :)

      Delete
  2. Way to go on the new start!!!
    It is so hard to make everyone happy!! My husband and I were just trying to not eat out and cook at home. I would make awesome dinners but my kids wouldn't eat them! BOO! And my son is not the picky kind so it was getting me more frustrated. He didn't mind making a PB&J for dinner but still.. I'm still trying to balance it all! Best wishes for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Velma! That's my problem; I know the kids don't mind eating macaroni and cheese or little mini pizzas on english muffins...but I feel guilty feeding them such low-nutrition foods when I'm working so hard to eat better myself!

      Delete
  3. I really like the idea of paleo--I'm not all the way there, but I do think it's great!
    BTW, the sugar cravings WILL go away. after cutting most sugar out my diet I don't crave it like I used to and when I do have it, a little goes a long way!
    What I eat now is lots of fruit, veggies, and protein. I do have some dairy, but not much, and go for days without it. I limit my grains because they make my stomach bloat really badly! i do eat beans and sweet potatoes which are not paleo (according to some paleo diets), but like i said, i'm not really "doing paleo". my boyfriend eas what i eat, but he bikes about 18 miles a day and needs more carbs than i do anyhow, so sometimes i'll make him rice or quinoa or something to go along with our meal. we also have chips and bagel thins for him. the only thing i really miss is bread, and will occasionally make it still (like the other night, it's a bad time of the month, okay?) but for the most part, i don't miss grains or sugar much at all!
    have you had dates? they are a perfect sugary treat and pretty healthy! i never really ate them before, but they are great for a sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know about the sugar cravings! It's getting better day by day, and I find having a cup of tea or a piece of fruit helps a lot. I love dates! I bought some dried dates and had a few with a handful of cashews for a snack yesterday; very filling and it almost tasted like a pb & j!

      I plan on running when I get the majority of the weight off (prob when I get down to 160 ish). I tried the Couch25K program a couple months ago and ended up with really sore knees and ankles, so I'm just going to focus on my diet now and do 30 day shred and workouts like that. Once I start training (I'd like to run long-distance races), I'll have to adjust my diet again...there is a Paleo for Athletes method that I'll look into when the time comes, but I'm not against adding in some (good) carbs to help with the training. We'll see!

      Delete