Monday, November 21, 2011

Turkey Day!

Thanksgiving grocery list

Thanksgiving is only three days away, and I *finally* finished my menu last night!  I look forward to cooking Thanksgiving dinner every year...I love to cook and really get into all the shopping and planning and organizing aspect of putting a delicious Thanksgiving dinner on the table!  We always invite at least one person over; I tell my husband it's because they probably don't have anywhere else to go (it's usually one of our single friends), but really, it's because I want an excuse to make lots of veggie dishes!  My husband would be thrilled if I threw a turkey breast, a bowl of mashed potatoes, gravy, and store bought rolls and pumpkin pie on the table.  He's so picky!  So I invite people over and use them as an excuse to cook everything else. 

This year, we're sharing our dinner with 8 friends.  My poor neighbor, Jackie, has three kids all under the age of 7 and is due with their fourth child in 3 weeks...so the five of them are coming over with macaroni and cheese and some cookies.  My husband also invited one of his friends from work, so he and his wife will be coming too.  Last but not least, my dear friend Tom will be joining us!  I've known Tom for 10 years now; we actually went to high school together at RAF Lakenheath, England!  I ran into him at Marketplace Foods here in Minot, North Dakota...talk about a small world. 

I thought I'd share my menu here with you guys, just in case some of you are looking for last minute recipes to try! 

The Turkey: 



Pioneer-Style Herb Roasted Turkey - I can't find my usual turkey recipe which bums me out, but this will do.  It's similar.


The Stuffing:
stuffing_s4x3_lg

Sage, Sausage and Apple Stuffing -I've made this stuffing three years in a row and I swear it tastes better every year.  I usually throw a handful or so of craisins in there too...so good. 

The Starches: 

43073

Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes  -I love doing the mashed potatoes in the crock pot...one less thing to keep my eye on! 

724

Sweet Potato Casserole -I usually make a sweet potato dish that has bacon and green onions (among other things) in it, but I decided to go sweet rather than savory this year. 

The Veggies:

2ca3b2cc-f3e2-4506-a012-8a2df780d571

Peas and Corn with Thyme Butter -I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I needed something to use up the insane amount of canned corn we have and Piper requested peas, so this will be perfect. 

12832

Sauteed Garlic Asparagus - My favorite way to cook asparagus!

4019980733_dd9d05cc08_o

Sweet Roasted Rosemary Acorn Squash Wedges - YUM. I have a butternut squash too so I might make some butternut wedges as well. 

The Dessert:

ef101006_1104_cheesecake_l

Pumpkin Cheesecake -I *hate* pumpkin pie, but I don't mind pumpkin itself, so hubs said he'd settle for a pumpkin cheesecake this year :) Works for me! 

5c32bcf7-a50c-4bb6-9686-76b66bad9ad0

Apple Pie -Can't go wrong with apple pie! 


And now, I'm off to clean my house so our guests aren't disgusted by the dog hair and cracker crumbs.  Hardwood floors are nice because there's no kool-aid stains or what not, but MAN are they hard to keep clean! 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That's an impressive spread! Everything sounds so tasty :) Happy Thanksgiving, my dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, the Pumpkin Pie I had at your house was the first time I can say I really enjoyed Pumpkin pie. Maybe the best Pumpkin Pie I've ever eaten.

    I love sauteed Asparagus too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really Loz? That's so funny! My mom must have made it. :)

    ReplyDelete