Thursday, May 7, 2009

Sunshine...glorious sunshine.

Alaska has decided to give us a nice summer this year…and I am beyond thrilled. Granted, it’s still only 50 degrees outside, but it’s 50 degrees IN MAY!!! We were lucky to get 65 degrees in July last year.

Piper face and I have definately been taking advantage of the sunny sunshine…playing outside a couple hours a day every day for the last week (except for yesterday and the day before when Alaska remembered it’s Alaska and decided to be cloudy and windy and rainy). All this running around various playgrounds and kicking soccer balls and drawing with chalk and learning to ride her bike has had an unexpected effect: My daughter is no longer the spawn of satan.

Now, I love my daughter more than life itself. I’d gladly give my life for her without even a second thought. But these past few months have been…how do I say this without being over-dramatic…WORSE THAN THE FIERY PITS OF HELL.

Piper screaming in the middle of the grocery store because I can’t find an airplane shopping cart.

Piper throwing herself onto the floor kicking and screaming because it’s time to leave wherever we are.

Me dragging a screaming Piper out the door of the BX because I commited the unforgivable sin of saying, “No.”

Piper glaring at me like I’m the worst excuse for a mother because I refused to let her eat a cupcake for breakfast.

Piper throwing a temper tantrum at 7PM every night for a week because Brandon and I want to watch a show on TV that won’t teach us the alphabet or how to share or what to do if we’re scared.

I don’t know if it’s the sunshine or the exercise, but whatever it is, it’s given me back my darling daughter that I missed so very much. I can leave the house without wondering whether I have the energy to drag a 42 lb 3 year old out of wherever we are. I don’t have to put up with rude stares from strangers (I’m sure none of whom are thinking, “Oh what a cute little girl!”). I don’t have to cross my fingers hoping we’ll be able to accomplish whatever it is I was to do on the day I managed to steal the car from Brandon.

DSCF8875



I’m glad you’re back, Piper. I missed you.

No comments:

Post a Comment