Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm back

So much for M-F updates, huh?

Sorry about the absence….I promise I have had every intention of sitting down and writing a new post, but I tend to get distracted easily. The biggest distraction lately is the couch; I’m not ashamed to admit I’ve taken a nap almost every day for the past two weeks. And I fully intend to continue this habit as long as I can use the “I’m pregnant” excuse.

I just looked out the window; it’s snowing. Again.

I’ve been complaining about the fact that my world is covered in white at least once a day for the past MONTH…and still, the first thing out of my mouth was, “Piper!! It’s snowing!!!” Not even in a sarcastic, annoyed, or pissed off tone. I was genuinely excited for about three seconds. For about three seconds, I was a toddler again…thrilled at the sight of snow falling from the sky.

When did I get to the point where I could only handle three seconds of snow-fall excitement? When did snow become something to be loathed…something to take the blame for my freezing hands or my slippery walks through parking lots? When did it no longer mean sledding and snowmen and snowangels and forts and snowball fights? Probably when I moved to Alaska, where there is snow on the ground six-eight months out of the year. I’ll bet you anything I can manage to slip and fall in the parking lot more times than I can manage to go sledding or build a snowman.

I took Piper for a walk the other day. We were bored, the sun was out, and it had gotten up to about 20 degrees that day. We bundled up and still had bright red noses and cheeks when we got to the Shoppette.

After we grabbed a few snacks, we headed home…and Piper walked through the snow the whole time.

You’d think she’d just met Dora the Explorer for real, she was so thrilled. She sunk in past her knees a couple times, she fell flat on her face more than a few times, she tried (unsucessfully) to make snowballs and throw them at me…and by the time I got her home and stripped out of her wet clothes, her little legs were bright red and freezing and I had to wrap her up like a little toddler burrito with three blankets to get her warm again….but she was still absolutely thrilled.

Yesterday in the car, she said, “Mommy, remember when we went for a walk? And I played in the snow?” And I said, “Yes, I remember that! It was cold, huh?” She said, “Yeah, it was so funny!”
Oh to be a kid again.

No comments:

Post a Comment